
So late Sunday night Tom went downstairs to get something from the apartment for our friend that lives there (he was in the hospital). And what did Tom find? Water. Lots and lots of water. We've had a small leak a couple of times, but it's always been caught before causing any damage. With nobody down there for days and lots of rain/snow, it wasn't caught and kept on flowing. After much work, and much money, the apartment is dried out with new padding under the carpet (luckily the carpet was saved), and Brian got to get back into his home. Who wants to leave the hospital to go stay with family for 2 days. Yuck. Good news: No damage to anything but the carpet pad. It didn't get his computer, TV, etc. It didn't get into our storage rooms (especially the food storage we've been working so hard to build). It didn't ruin our new furnace. The disaster cleanup guys did everything they could to finish quickly so Brian could get back in (it could have taken a week or two instead of 4 days). We have a credit card we can put the charges on. The carpet is now steam cleaned and looks good. Bad news: We will have to put in on the credit card because insurance didn't cover it. It took lots of time from my week. I was up until 3 am cleaning it up the first night, and got a cold two days later, probably from not sleeping. Such is life!
3 comments:
What a pain! We have had our basement flood once and it was such a headache! I am glad none of your valuables were ruined. I feel ya on the cold. My whole family has one right now and it just seems to be getting worse :(
Oh Audra! I am glad your things were safe, but what an annoying and expensive hassle. I hope you are feeling better and hugs out to you!
I am so sorry! And at the same time a blessing that more damage was not done!
How is Brian doing?
Post a Comment