Thursday, December 4, 2008

Fun with Sugar...

So last year we made our first gingerbread house as a family. It was a storebought kit and we all worked together. We had so much fun that I decided to try and make individual ones for Family Home Evening this year. So after a couple of blisters from the melted sugar, many broken graham crackers, and an allergic reaction in the baby (trace amounts of frosting got on his food, and the frosting had egg whites in it), we made our fun houses.
It was such a joy to watch the children each come up with their own ideas for their house. Patterns emerged, snowmen, sleighs, and a snowball fight are depicted. There's even a "man" working on the roof, with a ladder so he can get back down. Some put lots of work on the yard and a fence, while others put their time into a candy-loaded house. In the end, we all had a great time and I think a new family tradition has begun! Now I get to listen to, "Can we eat the houses today?" everyday from Tyler. All that tempting sugar is driving him crazy. Good thing Christmas is only 3 weeks away. Do you all have your shopping almost done?

4 comments:

The Cope Family said...

can we come over next time and make them with you. You are way nicer than I am. I would just end up yelling it would be bad so I just don't go thier. Glad you had fun though

Allison said...

Awesome! We do this too but we get really competative and always end up having a candy fight at the end :)

Audra said...

Camille - I totally ignored Tyler all day in order to complete the houses before family night, and I did get close to yelling a couple of times. It was worth it as we all had so much fun.

Allison,
I like your idea of the candy fight. Maybe when the baby is old enough to not eat it all off the floor and choke... or maybe not :)

Margaret and Murray Pratt said...

We started the same tradition with Mary last year. I just buy the kit though...you are AMAZING!